SENIOR TECHNICIAN AND LAB MANAGER
Job Announcement: November 15, 2021
Zelos is a fast-paced and team-oriented battery startup located in San Leandro, California. We
are building a rechargeable alkaline technology that can overcome safety, performance, and
cost limitations of lithium-ion for energy storage and backup power applications.
More information about us is below and at www.zelos.energy
We are now hiring for a Senior Technician and Lab Manager to oversee daily technical
operations and tasks at our lab space at the Gate 510 facility. The ideal candidate is hands-on, a
natural team leader, and able to take on a variety of challenges each day.
These are some of the tasks you will need to perform in this role. As a growing company,
responsibilities will evolve over time.
Senior Technician Tasks (Roughly 50%)
• Prepare electrodes and assemble cells, including precise assembly and testing of prototype
• Work with members of the team under the direction of battery engineers to innovate,
streamline, and improve standard cell build processes.
• Handle a variety of common and proprietary battery materials and perform standard wet
• Document electrode and cell fabrication data and procedures.
• Assemble a variety of battery prototypesincluding pouch and cylindrical cells.
Lab Manager Tasks (Roughly 50%)
• Oversee lab staff work schedules.
• Obtain permits and licenses require to operate a research laboratory facility.
• Operate the company health and safety program including safety training sessions for
• Track lab staff documentation for company research grant work, including employee time
sheets and grant-funded purchases.
• Procure of goods and services, create and track POs, and keep stocks and inventory at
optimal levels in regular consultation with other staff.
• Maintain the laboratory facilities, including keeping all areas of the facility clean/safe and
ready for work.
• Use basic and regularly updated knowledge of electrical systems, pluming, HVAC, and fume
hoods to perform and coordinate minor equipment maintenance and repairs as required.
• Oversee upkeep of local network hardware.
For all tasks, you will need to engage well with scientific, engineering, technical, operations, and
administrative colleagues in a flexible startup setting. Familiarity with Excel, Word and
PowerPoint in Windows and/or Mac, is essential.
Background and Experience
• Several years of experience in varied or increasingly senior technician roles and/or some
work managing scientific lab functions.
• BA/BS degree or equivalent, either in a technical field, or with some coursework in areas
including chemistry, engineering, or other STEM fields.
• Preferred: Prior work in startups, R&D operations and management, and in battery or energy areas.
Job Performance Requirements
• Implement, manage, demonstrate, and abide by general and company-specific lab and
COVID safety rules and standards.
• This position requires the ability to occasionally lift laboratory products and supplies, up to
• Safely work with common lab chemicals and products.
• Move from a desk to a lab environment many times during the day.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation, including stock options, depends on experience. We also offer a great benefits
package including health insurance and PTO.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States, and we cannot sponsor visa
applications at this time.
We welcome your application even if you do not have all of the skills and experience listed
above, provided you include a cover letter and resume indicating proven ability to learn quickly
and work as part of a team, and have familiarity and interest in a startup R&D environment.
To apply, please email a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org that are targeted
to this position. Applications that do not clearly speak to this opening and our company might
not be considered.Due to the high volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to
candidates who are selected for follow-up. No phone calls, please.
Zelos is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is a strength in the workplace, and we do not
discriminate on the basis of any criteria prohibited by local, state, or federal law, including
actual or perceived race, ethnicity, ancestry, appearance, immigration status, national origin,
age, religion, marital or family status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, sex, gender,
sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
About Zelos Energy Ltd.
Zelos Energy is committed to building the next generation of green batteries. Our patented
rechargeable alkaline technology provides safe, economical, and sustainable solutions for both
consumer and industrial uses. Products in development include deep cycle storage batteries,
lead-acid replacement, and low-cost cylindrical formats – for applications such as
uninterruptible power supply (UPS), energy storage solutions (ESS) for wind and solar, and
military and marine uses. Our completely non-toxic alkaline chemistry also avoids the fire,
safety, and supply chain risks of options such as lead-acid and lithium-ion. We are
headquartered in Silicon Valley, and our team has more than 100 years of combined scientific
and entrepreneurial experience. In 2020, we were awarded a competitively-selected multi-year
$1.8 million California Energy Commission grant for R&D scale-up in alternatives to Li-ion. With
Zelos, Help Is On The Way for our green energy future.